Tuesday, June 28, 2005

The Case of the Disappearing Money

After all that's happened to me lately? This is the icing on the cake.

I needed to send off a payment for auto insurance, so to make sure I had the funds, I took out a Visa loan from my Minnesota credit union for $500, kept $20, and put the remaining cash into my credit union's ATM to send to my Calif. credit union. (There are laws about their accepting money inside unless they're affiliated, I guess.)$480, right?

They are now claiming they only got $280. I've been raising cain, but they just give me this runaround. The one here that got the envelope says they have two teller's signatures, and there was only $280. So I wonder where it went?

Could I have not sealed the envelope? I remember licking the envelope. Could the teller that gave me the cash pulled a short-change on me? I remember fanning out the bills to be sure.

So, it appears as if I'll be changing credit unions shortly. After all, I don't need a California one if I'm working in Minnesota.

But, boy am I mad.

The moral of the story is, don't put cash into an ATM. My credit union here will give me a free cashier's check every day, and that's what I'm depositing from now on.

Ah, well, life's too important to be taken seriously.

7_19_05 The credit union has searched high and low, looked at tapes, etc., and decided that rather than waste any more time on it, they'll return the $200. After all, I've been a customer of theirs for more than 30 years, and never had a problem, so....

No comments: